DIAGRAM Out and About: June 2013 Update
2013 June 27
DIAGRAM at NLS Braille Summit: The Future of Braille: June 19-21, 2013 – Watertown, MA
- Benetech’s Betsy Beaumon presented a session on the “born accessible” topic, including information about the work of the DIAGRAM Center. For more, see Betsy’s new blog post, “On the Future of Braille: Thoughts by Radical Braille Advocates“
- NBP’s Brian Mac Donald discussed new braille technologies and haptics.
- Word is that 3D printing was a very popular topic at this meeting. See the Twitter stream at @BrailleSummit and @perkins_daily. You can also reference the hashtag #nlsbraille and join the conversation.
- Suzy Haines, Digital Content Manager at Benetech and member of the DIAGRAM Content Working Group, will speak about DAISY/Accessibility in EPUB as part of the session entitled “E-Books: Discovery & Metadata Exchange, File Formats and Functionality, and Meeting Patron Needs”
DIAGRAM at OSEP Project Directors Conference: July 14-17, 2013 – Washington, D.C.
- Betsy Beaumon, Lisa Wadors, and Cherie Miller of Benetech will present a session entitled “Preparing Educators for the Future of Accessible Educational Materials”
- Joshua Miele of Smith-Kettlewell will present “A Demonstration and Discussion of YouDescribe: A Tool for Creation of Accessible Instructional Video Materials to Support Learners With Visual Disabilities.”
- Mark Horney of MeTRC will present “Kids Reading and Writing About Mathematics: Do They? Can They? Should They?”
- MeTRC will conduct a Poster Session that includes the work of Robert Wall Emerson at Western Michigan University, who is investigating how different kinds of image descriptions compare in terms of effectiveness in helping students with vision impairments learn from instructional mathematic passages that include images.
from → Outreach