DIAGRAM Out and About: October 2013 Update
DIAGRAM at Books in Browsers: October 24-25, 2013 – San Francisco, CA
- Benetech’s VP of Engineering, Gerardo Capiel, discussed accessibility metadata and accessible images and math during his session, Born Accessible.
- Hear Gerardo’s talk, starting at minute 18 of this recording.
- Discussion summary: despite accessibility efforts around standards by publishers, until the reading systems support accessibility (e.g. MathML and SVG) it will be hard for publishers to justify the effort of supporting these things. Stopgap approaches include using PNG with math, and having automatically generated descriptions as ALT text.
DIAGRAM at EDUPUB: October 29-30, 2013 – Boston, MA
- DIAGRAM-affiliated Program Committee members for this meeting include Gerardo Capiel (Benetech), Mark Hakkinen (ETS), T.V. Raman (Google), and Rick Johnson (INGRAM VitalSource).
- See Gerardo Capiel’s presentation with book, image and video examples on LRMI and accessibility metadata for Schema.org.
- Kyle Keane of Wolfram Research presented “Standardizing Textual Descriptions of Interactive Graphics: A Plea to Support More Robust Verbosity“
DIAGRAM at Accessing Higher Ground: November 4-8, 2013 – Westminster, CO
- Benetech’s Educational Program Manager Cherie Miller will be presenting a session entitled “The Next Generation of Accessible Materials: Born Accessible”.
- Benetech’s VP of Engineering, Gerardo Capiel, will present on a panel with Robert Martinengo of AccessText Network on “Discovery of Accessible Educational Titles Via Accessibility Metadata.”
- DIAGRAM community members Ron Stewart, John Gardner, and Sean Keegan will also be presenting.
DIAGRAM at Getting In Touch With Literacy Conference: December 4-7, 2013 – Providence, RI
- Steve Landau of Touch Graphics will present on the Decision Tree project.
DIAGRAM at ATIA: January 29 – February 1, 2014 – Orlando, FL
- Steve Landau, Mark Hakkinen, Kyle Keane, and Betsy Beaumon will speak on a panel entitled, “What’s Next in Accessible STEM Learning Materials and Assessment”