Happy New Year and Thank You!
As 2013 has drawn to a close, we here at the DIAGRAM Center would like to send a heartfelt THANK YOU to all of you who have worked so hard throughout the year to take us ever closer to the goal of making digital images accessible to every reader. Your countless hours participating in working groups, writing newsletter pieces, working on DIAGRAM subcontracted projects, giving talks at industry meetings, advising on best practices, creating webinars, shaping the discussion on accessibility standards, and creating tools for outreach are making a big difference to current and future generations of students with print disabilities. Highlights from the year include:
- Adoption by the Association of American Publishers of DIAGRAM’s “Top Tips for Creating Accessible EPUB 3 Files”
- Creation of a new Accessible Images Sample Book (forthcoming)
- Delivery of four brand-new webinars on how to create accessible images and math, and how to integrate those images into eBooks and DTBs.
- Research partnerships on 3D printing, haptics, scientific interactives, QR codes, image description templates, publisher practices and needs regarding accessible content production, and more.
- A two-day hackathon, “Born Digital, Born Accessible Learning Sprint,” resulting in prototypes for better web-based math accessibility.
- Enhancements to Poet, including the Description Wizard and improved searching
- Acceptance by Schema.org of accessible materials tagging proposal by the Accessibility Metadata Project.
For all these accomplishments and so many more, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts and wish you all a fantastic 2014 as we look ahead to more exciting developments to come!